Thursday, August 1, 2013

Writing Thoughts

I thought I'd begin a new blog. In a sense, I feel like I'm beginning a second life -- transitioning from somebody who merely writes (but who's always loved it) to becoming an actual writer. I've taken several writing workshops now with former Philomel editor, Patricia Lee Gauch, and learned so much from her -- about writing, yes -- but more than that, about getting inside your character's head and filtering the world through his/her eyes. And if you want to bring your characters to life, that's exactly what you need to do, I've learned. Slant your writing.

As writers, there are a myriad of things to juggle while trying to bring imaginary characters -- and imaginary worlds -- to life. Strike a balance between showing and telling. No novel can be all show. It doesn't allow for getting inside your character's head. And truthfully, does anybody really want to read every detail in a character's journey. Sometimes it's better to tell.

Mine the power of simple objects. The knife. The compass. The mirror. They can lend your novel depth and power.

Use body talk to help steer your narrative (instead of tags) and your novel will be the richer for it.

Use staging to bring scenes slowly to life through the senses.

Pay attention to your turns of phrase, your wording. Also to your tree and leaf details that lend a novel authenticity.

A chapter is like a great wave of energy that rises and rises, reaching a sort of crescendo. Pay attention to the shape of each chapter. Don't let your writing drag and your narrative become a bore.


These are but a few of the things I've learned from Patti but they have enriched my writing and brought it to a better place in so many ways.

4 comments:

  1. Happy to witness the birth of your new blog, replete with good reflections from your mind and your monitor. Lovely and neat writing space. I was tickled by the cup of tea/coffee by the monitor, just like the one sitting where I'm typing this. Clinking cups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Mirka! And as my son said, the tea kettle rarely goes cold in the Michel house. It keeps the thoughts flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look and feel of you new blog, Stella. And that writing space is so inviting! Can't wait to read more as you set off on this blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Laura! I'm not very technologically savvy but I am trying. Often, I write on the couch, too.

    ReplyDelete